Seedlings: Parent and Child Classes
The MPCS Seedlings Parent and Child Classes provide a warm, welcoming space for families to learn and grow. Auntie Susan, an experienced early childhood educator, will lead you and your little one through a gentle, predictable rhythm that features developmentally-appropriate, play-based activities for the children and inspiration and support for the parents.
Each session is seasonally-centered and features unique projects. The rhythm will reflect the preschool/kindergarten school year, just on a smaller scale, so the content of the whole year is valuable. Play time and time to socialize with new friends is also ongoing, so a whole year will build those relationships with teacher, peers, parents, and the Mountain Phoenix Community.
The curriculum for the Seedlings Toddler Class features:
- time for parents to connect
- social time for toddlers
- a hearty snack
- creative time for parents
- free play for children
- songs, stories and circle time
- information and articles about child development and education
Parents may choose from attending class one, two or three days per week:
- Location: Fladdick Hall (Building C) East entrance
- Ages: walking to 3 years old
- Time: 9:00 to 11:45 a.m.
- Days: Class is offered on the following days:
- Cost: The cost for the Summer/Fall session is $297 for one day a week. The cost for the Winter and Spring sessions is $270 per session for one day a week. You may sign up for multiple days.
- There is also a $45 materials fee and a $20 registration fee.
- If you begin mid-session, the cost will be prorated at $28 per class plus the $45 materials fee and a $20 registration fee.
- Acceptance: You will be notified of placement in class 1-2 weeks prior to orientation.
Infants that are not yet walking are welcome to attend with older siblings.
Participation in the Seedlings Program does not give enrollment priority into the PreK through 8th-grade programs at Mountain Phoenix Community School.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, we are offering the following sessions:
- Summer/Fall – August 21st-November 14th (Mandatory Parent Orientation Evening: August 14th 6–7 pm. Adults Only.)
No classes September 4th, October 23rd, 24th, 31st, November 9th tuition due in full August 4th
- Winter – November 27th -February 16th (Mandatory Parent Orientation Evening: November 15th 6-7 pm. Adults Only.)
no classes December 21–January 5th, January 15th and 16th registration deadline for continuing students November 1st – tuition due in full registration deadline for new students November 8th – tuition due in ful
- Spring – March 5th-May24th (Mandatory Parent Orientation Evening: March 1st 6–7 pm. Adults Only.)
no classes March 26-30, April 30, May 1st-4th registration deadline for continuing students February 1st – tuition due in full registration deadline for new students February 12th – tuition due in full
Whoever is going to attend the majority of the classes with the child is the one who is most needed at the mandatory orientation evening (with any other parents very welcome as well, of course).
To register, please fill out the Seedlings Application Form and deliver or mail it to with a $20 registration fee:
Mountain Phoenix Community School
4725 Miller Street
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
Please note the following summer office hours if you want to drop off the application:
- June 5 – June 16: Limited hours (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- June 19 – July 14: Office closed
- July 17 – July 28: Limited hours (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- July 31: Office returns to full-time hours
- Monday to Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m
If you have any questions, please contact Leslie Fox, Enrollment Coordinator, at email@example.com or 303.728.9100, x. 327.
Meet Susan Skokan, Lead Teacher of the Seedlings Program
Susan has been caring for children full time since 2007. She dove into Waldorf methods the summer of 2011 at Mountain Phoenix. On campus that year she taught a private toddler class, provided grades before care and private after care for ECE students. After two years successfully running her own licensed, mixed-age home preschool; she was thrilled to return to Mountain Phoenix in 2014.
She has been a Lead ECE Teacher, an ECE Float, ECE Assistant and after care teacher. Susan earned her LifeWays Early Childhood Certification in May of 2013 – a “Sister to Waldorf” program that focuses on birth to age 7. Since 2011 she has earned countless hours of continuing education through the Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America. Nancy Blanning facilitates these classes and Susan has earned well over 100 hours. In April 2016 she completed two years of Waldorf Foundation Studies through the Center for Anthroposphy. She is a photography major at MSU. Summer 2015 she was the afternoon Grades Lead Teacher at Denver Waldorf’s Summer Camp and is coming away from that experience with new knowledge. In the fall she was exhilarated to dive back into early childhood. This summer she is one of the Early Childhood Lead teachers at DWS.
Every day, she strives to take each moment as it comes, see the chance for meeting the children with spiritual reverence and remembering that THERE IS TIME! Over time, she finds this more and more true, especially using slow, gentle movements to give a child warm nurturing moments in their day. “It’s so fun when they want me to sing a song again and again, because I know they’ve enjoyed it.” Susan loves to watch leaves fall with them, discover snow, stare at the sky or a ladybug, tell stories, and just look into light-filled eyes.