Governing Council Corner Update (August GC Meeting Recap)
Every month we will post an update of the Governing Council meeting to help the community understand the Governing Council and what we do.
· Very smooth start to the school year across ECE, grades, upper school and student support
· Middle school will now be referred to as “Upper School” to reflect a more accurate depiction of our program compared to neighborhood/Jeffco middle schools
· Homeschool spent a lot of time improving the classrooms for the new school year and had a well-attended back to school night
· Before and After Care: many more families using service than expected and more staff is needed. Also, looking into purchasing afterschool software program/application to streamline process (check in/out, etc.). Great news! MPCS is approved to accept CCAP; will communicate with families on how to qualify/apply for financial assistance
· Planning under way for Fun Run, Annual Give and restaurant nights
· Working through school store and sales tax requirements
· Discussed the possibility of reallocating funds currently allocated to ECE playground towards a capital campaign for the new building.
· Grateful for the crew of volunteers with welcome signs out for the start of school
· Secondhand sale completed on Aug 10, with the main purpose of giving parents an affordable way to get back-to-school clothes that fit within our school dress code
· The Steiner book fair will be happening during the Back-to-School nights (Aug 27 and 28).
· CMAS results available. Very positive MPCS results. Results will be distributed to parents/caregivers at Back-to-School nights.
· In-service highlights from Aug. 7-13: Health/wellness with school nurse Wendy Moore, MPCS/Jeffco Safety & Security, Three Streams of Student Support intro/review, all-staff progressive painting, Class teacher/support staff meetings to review student needs, participatory school biography exercise
· Registration days were well attended and went smoothly
· Working on after school enrichment program – more control around quality of staff, programming and mindful of cost (inclusive and accessible for all families)
· Building Updates: Many projects completed over the summer with a few pending:
• New doors ordered; installation
• Wood Henge landscape/masonry
• Primary bldg. water leak repaired. Investigating cause following back flow inspection
· Community Visits:
§ Jeffco superintendent Dr. Jason Glass visit Friday, Aug 23, 8:45-9:15
§ CO League Charter Schools Jessica Jone visit Wednesday, Sept. 18, 10:30-11
Highlights from Committees
§ A lot of focus on charter renewal action items, first read at September 25 GC meeting
§ CMAS growth and achievement: a lot of good news, well positioned for our charter renewal Strong growth across the grades, typical curve. Math average 68.5. Starting to see our scores in the upper school exceed state and district level in achievement. Dip in 6th grade math; Samantha Chung-Yew will be incorporating 6th grade into her instruction starting this year
§ Personnel Committee has been created and first meeting will be in September
§ Documented all goals/promises for this year. Living document to revisit throughout the year
Next Meeting will be on Sept 25, 2019