Reaction to 9 News Story on Lead in Jeffco Public Schools
April 18, 2017
Dear Jeffco Families,
Yesterday 9 News ran a story about a state bill under consideration regarding lead in drinking water and mentioned Jeffco Public Schools. Unfortunately, the story mentioned initial results in some schools but not the fact that all drinking water sources were brought up to standards by the end of 2016 when our environmental services department proactively tackled this issue.
- All drinking water sources in all schools were tested during the summer of 2016
- Any faucets that had test results over the Environmental Protection Agency (15ppb) recommended lead level were immediately taken out of use
- Faucets with lead levels above 15ppm were either permanently taken out of use or remediated by the end of 2016
- More information and results for every school are available on the district website: http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/business/lead_tests/
- Please note due to a new Jeffco Public Schools website launch next week not all the information has been updated. However, all sinks in use in Jeffco Public Schools are in compliance with EPA recommendations
The health of our students is vitally important, which prompted our proactive measures regarding lead in drinking water.
Chief Communications Officer