Sound Circle Early Childhood In-Service Program in Denver (Summer 2017)
In the summer of 2012 Sound Circle Center in Seattle launched its first satellite program in Eastern Washington. Students from the region participated in Summer Intensives in Seattle during 2012, 2013 and 2014 and in monthly seminars in Spokane during the two intervening years. Six early childhood teachers graduated in 2014. A similar program began in Denver, Colorado the following summer. Thirteen students of the Denver cohort will graduate in summer of 2017. There has been interest in starting a second cohort in Denver and the Sound Circle Board has approved the exploration of a second group with some modifications to the program.
This is an In-Service Program designed for students already working in the classroom. It is comprised of 6 summer intensive weeks and 6 week long seminars. The program combines foundational studies, artistic work, child and human development, the inner life of the teacher and practical aspects of Waldorf early childhood education.
- Number of students and Application deadline: There would need to be a minimum of 15 students for the program to be viable. The maximum number of students is 20. The application deadline is January 31, 2017.
- Length of Program: 6 summer intensive weeks in Seattle (6x 37.5 hrs = 225 hrs), 3 weeks in Denver in each of the two intervening school years (33 hours per week x 6 weeks = 198 hrs). This represents a total of 423 contact hours. The expectation for a WECAN recognized training is a minimum of 400 hours. Additional time for interviews, orientation, and conference time with mentors represent additional contact hours that are not included in this total.
- Cost: $9000. The tuition covers the cost of the six summer intensive weeks (@700/week) and the 6 week long seminars, including 2 days of mentoring during each school year for a total of 4 days. The student is required to host and pay for the travel expenses of the mentor. SCC pays for the cost of the in-house and visiting mentors. Additional costs to the student include books and travel, housing and food for the summer intensives.
- Program Director: Holly Koteen-Soule is the EC In-Service Program Director and will be the primary instructor for the week-long seminars in Denver, although Denver weeks will feature additional instructors for artistic work and areas of specialization. Summer Intensives in Seattle will introduce students to a rich and varied faculty.
- Timing: Sound Circle anticipates beginning the program in summer of 2017. Summer Intensive dates for 2017 are June 26-30 and July 3-7.