Want to Support Water Protectors at Standing Rock? Here’s how you can help.
From a Josie Shapiro, who has been supporting the water protectors:
Hello everyone! I hope this finds you well. Some of you might be aware of the resistance going on up at Standing Rock Reservation against the Dakota Access Pipeline. There has been an encampment of Indigenous people (over 280 tribes represented there) and allies since April. In the last two months the resistance to the pipeline crossing the Missouri River and the Ogallala Aquifer has grown in its intensity. This is a non-violent movement led by the Elders Council of the Sioux Nation. You can learn more if you haven’t heard of this:
I just returned from a supply run to the Red Warrior Camp and Native Lives Matter camp. I will be returning on November 19th to do a month stay and work on legal support for those who are engaged in non-violent direct actions. The winters of North Dakota are brutal with sub zero temps and wind chills as low as -60. I am collecting donations of the following items if anyone would like to contribute:
– All season tents (think winter alpine camping)
– Wall tent (military or hunting style)
– Wood stove
– Base layers, wool socks, heavy down coats, gloves/mittens, balaclavas. These should be in great condition and appropriate for the coldest Colorado days. Wool stuff is great!
– 0 degree sleeping bags
– Sleeping pads for camping
– USB Battery pack chargers
– Solar chargers for electronics
– Winter boots, insulated work boots
– Insulated bib overalls (Carharrt, work wear style)
The Platte River is a tributary to the Missouri River. We are a part of the water shed that the Missouri provides to a massive portion of the country, being the largest water shed and the longest river in the U.S. In Colorado we know how vital water is. Maintaining clean water is vital for all of our survival. Maintaining sacred lands and waters is vital for the survival of Native communities.
IF YOU HAVE A DONATION YOU CAN CONTACT ME VIA TEXT (303) 641-1881 and I will make arrangements to pick up or meet up with you!
#StandWithStandingRock #NoDAPL #WaterIsSacred